Develop your communityEdit
One of the first steps in developing your community is to encourage new visitors to the wiki to get involved. The following suggestions may help:
- Create a recent visitors page or guestbook so new people can participate even before they have content to add.
- Encourage new users to add some content to their user page.
- Give a personal greeting to newcomers. (templates are useful, but a written one is better)
- Add to the pages created by newcomers, either with content, links or category tags.
- Create a page which explains how new users can contribute to the wiki.
- Link to unfinished or requested pages from your wiki's home page so people can easily see what needs working on.
- Point people to the IRC channel, mailing list or community page, such as your Project:Community Portal to help build a community.
- You can link to these in the MediaWiki:Community-corner which appears at the bottom right of the Special:WikiActivity page of every user.
- Organize and participate in events like a logo contest. You can also advertise these outside of the wiki to bring in new users.